OF FAITH IN HOLY TRINITY.
There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body parts, or passions; of infinite power, wisdom and goodness, the maker, and Preserver of all things both visible and invisible. And in unity of this Godhead there be three Persons, of one substance, power and eternity; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
From the Articles of Religion, agreed upon by the Archbishops, Bishops, and the whole clergy of the Provinces of Canterbury and York London 1562
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH, GLEN INNES
1858 – 1862 Rev. G.C.BODE
1862 – 1878 Rev. J.H.JOHNSON
1878 – 1880 Rev. W.H.COOPER
1880 – 1882 Rev. W.EGLENTON
1882 – 1883 Rev. H.LUBECK
1883 – 1889 Rev. J.CAMPBELL
1889 – 1898 Rev. A.W.KING
1898 – 1903 Rev. F.T.REYNOLDS
1903 – 1910 Rev. A.W.JOHNSON
1910 – 1923 Rev. Canon W.KEMMIS
1923 – 1928 Rev. H.K.GORDON
1928 – 1933 Rev. Canon A.W.COATES
1933 – 1951 Rev. Canon Hunter BARRATT
1951 – 1969 Ven. C.R.ROTHERO
1969 – 1974 Rev. H.TAYLOR
1974 – 1982 Rev. R.D.BOWDEN
1982 – 1989 Rev. L.R.J. NEWBY
1989 – 1994 Rev. G.BELL
1994 – 1997 Rev. M.TROTMAN
1997 – 2007 Rev. A.NEWMAN
2007 – 2015 Rev. C.BRENNAN
2016- Rev D. A. ROBINSON
I974 Rev. Canon Edgerton
1988 Rev. Terence Wenham(Welwyn, England)
(Incomplete list due to missing records.)
LIST OF CURATES/ASSISTANTS
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH, GLEN INNES
Rev. G.WARE 1904
Rev. A.S.HAMERSHAM 1904 – 1905
Rev. G.E.MORRIS 1908 – 1909
Rev. G.H.RAE 1922
Rev. G.W.G.NEILL 1924
Rev. G.A.BAKER 1924 – 1928
Rev. V.C.DUNCOMBE 1931 – 1934
Rev. C.J.DOYLE 1937 – 1939
Rev. H.S.HANNAFORD 1946 – 1948
Rev. G.DENT 1948 – 1949
Rev. J.L.G.SULLIVAN 1948 – 1949
Rev. M.McGREGOR 1950 – 1952
Rev. J.POTTER 1955 – 1957
Rev. M.BURROWS 1956 – 1959
Rev. J.ROSTRON 1958 – 1960
Rev. C.MARRETT 1960 – 1963
Rev. J.LANE 1963 – 1968
Rev. Father P.LOCKYER 1968 – 1969
Rev. Father M.RADUA 1972 – 1974
Sister J.LESLIE 1974
Rev. C.GERRARD 1978 – 1981
Rev. D.WEIDEMANN 1984 – 1987
Rev. P.HARVEY 1990 – 1992
Rev. J.PAGE 1995 – 2017
Rev. R.CLEMENTSON 1995 –
(Corrective Services Chaplain)
Rev. M.TAYLOR 1997 – 1999
HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF GLEN INNES
AND HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH
(Consecrated in 1868)
The beginning of the Parish of Glen Innes and the Holy Trinity Church of England can be linked with the early history of Australia. The Right Reverend William Grant Broughton was appointed Archdeacon of the Colony of New South Wales in 1828 by the Archbishop of Canterbury. He travelled by sea and arrived in Port Jackson, Sydney in 1829. Only fifteen priests were under his jurisdiction by the year 1833. In 1834 he ventured back to Britain on a ‘clergy recruiting campaign’. At this period of time Australasia was a part of the Diocese of Calcutta and later, for a short time, was part of the Diocese of Madras, India.
On the 14th February 1836, Archdeacon William Broughton was consecrated as Bishop of Australia at Lambeth Palace, London. He was enthroned in St. James Church, King Street, Sydney on the 6th June, 1837 and a portrait of him can still be viewed at that church. This appointment heralded a new era as the Rt. Rev. Bishop Broughton became the first Bishop of Australia. Here it is interesting to note that Dr. W.H. Boydell, who had a medical practice in Glen Innes in recent times is a great grandson of the Bishop Broughton.
In July 1836, the Church Act was passed which provided for the support of the Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches by providing Government grants to support local funds.
A considerable amount of the Bishop’s time had to be given to his headquarters in Sydney, to his duties as member of the Legislative and Executive Councils and to the administrative work of his huge See (diocese). Even so, he also managed to accomplish amazing tours through the widespread country district of New South Wales and to set up a Training Scheme for students of the Ministry. This was: “not withstanding his lameness and the rigours of bush travel. In Sydney, he once confessed, Romanists on the one side and Dissenters on the other allow me no rest.”
As an energetic and visionary man, he established The King’s School at Parramatta, a Theological College and consecrated a number of churches, including Sydney Cathedral. Another link, in more recent times, is that the Venerable Archdeacon Dr. Grant Bell, a former vicar of Glen Innes is currently associated with The King’s School at Parramatta.
In 1842 Bishop Broughton planned and carried out the creation of the Diocese of Tasmania, followed by Newcastle, Melbourne and Adelaide. In 1847, the first Bishops for these Dioceses were consecrated in Westminster Abbey.
The small settlement of Armidale in 1845 received a visit from Bishop Broughton. At that time, Armidale was: “just a settlement of twelve to fourteen timber constructions with tin roofs”.
It was arranged for a priest to be appointed to the newly created Parish of St. Peters.
By 1847 the New England area found itself placed under the newly created Diocese of Newcastle with the Rev. William Tyrrell appointed Bishop in charge. His place of residence was to be at Morpeth on the Hunter River. He had fourteen clergy to serve an area of 800 miles (1,280 kms.) by 700 miles (1,120 kms). As the Bishop of Newcastle he made journeys to Tamworth, Armidale, Ipswich and Brisbane, all situated in his vast territory.
From the Glen Innes correspondent of the Armidale Express on the 29th November 1856: “On Wednesday last our township was honoured by a visit from the Bishop of Newcastle, the Rt. Rev. W. Tyrrell. The Bishop delivered a most impressive sermon, after which a meeting was convened. It was proposed that a schoolhouse should be erected that might, in the meantime, answer for a church. A committee, comprising the most influential men in the district was then formed for the purpose of adopting the best measures for carrying this intention into effect. This is taking a step in the right direction. If our Surveyor General would kindly allow land to be surveyed here, the committee would then have an opportunity of selecting a site for a parsonage.”
In the Armidale Express of the 14th August 1858, the Glen Innes correspondent reported: “Tenders are invited for the erection of a school house and temporary church at Glen Innes. Plan and specifications are to be seen at Messrs. Martin & Co., Glen Innes. The tenders will be opened on the September 1st.”
CHAPTER 2 — THE BIRTH OF THE DIOCESE OF ARMIDALE & GRAFTON
Bishop Broughton appointed William Tyrrell the Bishop of the Diocese of Newcastle. He truly cared for his ‘sheep’ visiting the New England area on a number of occasions. Remembering that the roads were tracks and that the horse was the only available form of transport, it was a remarkable commitment. His visits in 1848, 1856, 1860 and 1864 have been recorded. After three weeks in the New England District in 1848 Bishop Tyrrell returned to Newcastle. He had a satisfying feeling believing that he had persuaded: “almost every squatter or settler to have family prayers in the evening, to have a service on Sundays and to read a sermon from a book approved and provided by the Bishop himself. The squatter or settler was ordered to superintend a Lending Library for all men and shepherds on his station and to unite with all the other settlers in the vast district for some common purpose.” The Bishop’s goal was to build a church in Armidale. This was achieved. St. Peter’s Church was finally opened in May 1850. Bishop Tyrrell’s incredibly vast journeys convinced him that: “the huge Diocese of Newcastle had to be reduced.”
With the Diocese of Brisbane being created in 1859, this was to prove a big relief for Bishop Tyrrell. In July 1856 representatives of the people of Glen Innes, Tenterfield and the Upper Clarence met to: “ beg Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, not to include them in the new Colony of the North”.
In 1862 Bishop Tyrrell presided at a meeting in Sydney and pleaded for the Diocese to be further reduced. As a result, the Diocese of Grafton & Armidale was constituted in 1863. The events ultimately led to the first Bishop of Grafton & Armidale, the Rt Rev. James Francis Turner being appointed to this venerable position after a remarkable sequence of events. In April 1866, Bishop Tyrrell informed a meeting in Newcastle that more than three years had elapsed since the offer of an appointment in the new Diocese had been made to two clergymen. One of the clergymen took ten months to decline and the second candidate also declined on the grounds of ill health. The Rev. S.R. Waddelow of Bournemouth, England, accepted, but just before his installation he too withdrew on medical advice, dying a few years later.
After a further six months delay the Archbishop of Canterbury announced the Rev. William Collinson Sawyer of Oxford for the position. He was consecrated as Bishop in 1867 and arrived in Sydney at the end of that year. Voyages in those days took up to nine months between England and Australia. Following his arrival in Sydney, he continued his journey to Grafton by ship, acquired a horse and rode on to Armidale, then to Morpeth where Bishop Tyrrell resided and eventually settled his family at Grafton on the 13th March, 1868. Tragically, two nights later on the 15th March 1868 the Rev. Collinson Sawyer and one of his sons were drowned on their way to church when their boat overturned on the Clarence River. The Rev. James Francis Turner was then selected and appointed on 24th February 1869. His initial visit to Armidale on the 8th September 1869 was accompanied by falling snow.
CHAPTER 3 – THE BEGINNING OF THE PARISH OF GLEN INNES
The Parish of Glen Innes, one of the oldest in the Diocese, was set up as a centre of administration of the Church of England when Bishop Tyrrell appointed the Rev. G. C. Bode to be the first Vicar of the Parish in 1858. Rev. Bode, who formerly trained under the then Vicar of Armidale, the Rev. Septimus Hungerford, was ordained to the diaconate at the end of 1857 and commenced his duties in 1858. The Rev. Septimus Hungerford is credited with bringing Christian worship to Glen Innes. His descendants, the Wiseman family, still reside in the Glen Innes district and are members of the congregation.
It is interesting to note that Glen Innes resident Mrs Isobel Stokes said her grandfather, the Rev. Charles Markham Mills, was ordained to serve in the Armidale Parish by Bishop Tyrrell about the same time that the Rev. G. C. Bode was installed at Glen Innes. It was the Rev. C. M. Mills who married Fred Ward, ‘Thunderbolt’, to his Aboriginal wife. The Parish at that time was itself the size of a large Diocese, extending north as far as the Queensland border, while its boundaries to the east and west were undefined: “except perhaps by the powers of endurance of the clergyman”.
In those days Wellingrove was the centre of civil administration for the area. The Courthouse, Post Office and Police Station were situated there, as well as other businesses. When Rev. Bode came to Glen Innes he would have found very few roads. Most were only bush tracks, leading from one station to another. Even these would have been indistinguishable at certain seasons except for the marked trees that blazed the trail. He would have led a hectic life being away from Glen Innes for weeks at a time. He baptised children of any denomination at the homesteads he visited. The first five baptisms in the Parish on the 5th April 1858 were those of Frederick William Martin, William Thomas O’Hara, William and Matilda Spatch and Francis Henry Patterson. The first wedding was solemnised at Tenterfield between John Henry Sommerlad and Louise Wilhemina Marcheller in 1859.
The poem ‘A Bush Christening’ by Banjo Paterson reminds us of those days. Families rarely saw a parson, other than when he called at their homes, as there were no church buildings and services were held where the settlers lived. Gradually, the regular administration of the church services in the growing town of Glen Innes superseded those in Wellingrove and the houses of lonely country folk. Early records show that until the erection of the first portion of the present church in the 1860’s, services were held in a building in Wentworth Street near Church Street.
CHAPTER 4 – THE CHURCH
Rev. G.C Bode served the Parish until 1862, to be succeeded by the Rev. J.H. Johnson, who was Vicar for the next sixteen years. Rev. Johnson applied himself industriously to erecting a more suitable place of worship and it was during his time that the first section of the present Holy Trinity Church was built in 1868. The original church was large for those early days. It consisted of the present Nave built of granite and basalt. The blue granite was quarried from the grounds where the hospital now stands. James Benjamin Winstanley, a convict settler, constructed the roof. He and his wife, Priscilla had lived in Sydney until the early 1850’s when they went searching for gold at Dundee. He was the holder of a timber licence. The Winstanleys are buried in the Glen Innes cemetery.
The building weathered the years so well that no new church building was needed to replace it. In May 1874 a travelling reporter of the Town and Country Journal described the Church of England at Glen Innes as: “a handsome edifice built of bluestone, at a cost of £1,200. The interior is tastefully fitted up, particularly the Chancel, which has a beautiful altar cloth of scarlet and gold.” The Examiner dated 23rd December 1874 reported that a memorial window was added to the church: “The window was purchased by the members of the Church in memory of Miss Martin who for some years led the musical services at the church, and who at the early age of 19 years was removed from our midst by the hand of death. So great was the respect in which she was held that the present memorial window has been raised in the Chancel of Holy Trinity Church to her memory. The window is of very fine work of colonial art, and reflects much credit on Messrs. Lyon and Cottier of Sydney from whom it was obtained. The figures represented are St. John and St. Cecilia, the former with scroll and pen the latter with an organ. Underneath the figures the following inscription appears: In memory of Emily, daughter of James Martin, of this place, who went to her rest on 30th January 1874; aged 19.”
The window no longer exists. It was blown out in a storm years later. The Glen Innes Examiner of the 23rd December 1874 notes that a Divine Service was held: “on Christmas morning at 11 o’clock and also that a midnight service was held at 11 to 12 o’clock p.m. by Rev. J. H. Johnson B.A. on New Year’s Eve.”
CHAPTER 5 – THE CONSECRATION OF HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
On the 2nd February 1876 the Rt. Rev. Turner, Bishop of Grafton and Armidale consecrated Holy Trinity Church. He earned the title of the “Builder Bishop”. It must have been a busy time in Glen Innes with the consecration of the Church on the Feast of the Purification Day on 2nd February, and the Annual Pastoral and Agricultural Show on the 7th and 8th February.
In 1876 Glen Innes was described as being: “pleasantly situated at the foot of a hill at an elevation of 3,700 feet above sea level, on the Rocky Ponds, on the road between Armidale and Tenterfield, 420 miles N.NE of Sydney”. At that time the Vicar’s stipend was £300 of which the people of the Parish had to find £200. The size of the Parish had been reduced by the creation of the Parish of Tenterfield in 1868. However, the Rev. J. H. Johnson served such places as Bukkulla 60 miles away together with Cope’s Creek, McLeods’s Creek, Ollera sixteen miles west of Guyra, Newstead 25 miles west, Moredun Creek, Limestone Creek and Strathbogie. The Rev. J. H. Johnson concluded a long and distinguished career to the Church in Glen Innes in 1878. Dangers there were for all travellers and the ministers were exposed to the elements of weather and other obstacles. Visiting Ollera, near Guyra for the Rev. J. H. Johnson meant a good day’s travel and in those times bushrangers roamed.
CHAPTER 6 – EARLY GLEN INNES
The population of Glen Innes in 1878 was 343 people. By this time it had three churches: the Church of England, Roman Catholic and Presbyterian Churches; together with a Public School, Court House, Post and Telegraph Office, Police Station, a branch of the Bank of New South Wales and a School of Arts. Two local newspapers were being circulated: The New England Times and the Glen Innes Guardian and there were three hotels: “The Telegraph”, “Glen Innes” and “Mount Pleasant”.
From the Government Directory of the time the following memorabilia was extracted: “165 households were listed and these included, 27 farmers, 4 boot makers, 1 road contractor, 25 selectors, 5 builders, 2 millers, 6 squatters, 5 carriers, 2 solicitors, 11 innkeepers, 3 butchers, 2 carpenters, 9 storekeepers, 3 auctioneers, 3 clergymen, 5 blacksmiths, 2 bakers, 2 wheelwrights, 4 saddlers, 2 tailors, 2 bank managers, 1 teller, 1 surgeon, 1 nurse, 1 midwife, 1 chemist, 1 chemist/dentist, 1 sheep inspector, Cobb & Co., 1 postmaster, 1 telegraph operator, 1 mail contractor, 1 mason, 1 watchmaker, 1 tinsmith, 1 cabinet maker, 1 well sinker, 1 gunsmith, 1 gaoler, 1 School master (George Hill), 1 farrier, 1 Clerk of Petty Sessions, 1 stationer, 5 Boarding House proprietors and last but not least – Police Sergeant B. Walker who had the final encounter with ‘Thunderbolt’ near Uralla in 1870 and was also involved with the shooting of Black Tommy.(Two well-known bushrangers).
By 1881 the population had grown to 1 327 residents due largely to the discovery of tin at Vegetable Creek (Emmaville). By then Rev. W.H. Cooper and the Rev. William Eglenton had succeeded the Rev. J. H. Johnson. Both stayed for only two years.
In 1882 a notable priest, Rev. H. Lubeck, who obtained a doctorate, came to Holy Trinity. He remained the Vicar for only one year, after which he travelled to the U.S.A. There he had a long and distinguished career in the academic life of the Episcopalian Church (the U.S.A. branch of the Anglican Communion.)
After Dr. Lubeck the Rev. J. Campbell, an expert on minerals and whose book “Simpler Tests for Minerals” went through several editions, was appointed and became the Vicar from 1883 to 1889. One story connected to the time of the Rev. J. Campbell tells of a Danish migrant who had arrived in Staniffer, near Tingha because of the tin found there. There he met Anna Rosalie Pohl. Her mother had died and she lived with her father who was a violent man. Hans and Anna decided to elope and rode by horseback to Glen Innes. Hans was 32 years old and Anna only 16 years old. They were married at the Holy Trinity Church, on 18th October 1883. Special permission had to given by George Martin because of Anna being underage. Hans obtained work on the railway line that was being constructed to Tenterfield. Anna gave birth to baby Christina on the 30th November 1884 in a tent at Deepwater. Christina was Colin Lute’s mother. The story continues that the couple decided to go to the Tenterfield Races on Boxing Day. Both rode their horses while the nurse carried the baby. This story epitomises the times, conditions, and the spirit of people in the 1880’s.
The Rev. J. Campbell was followed by the Rev. A.W. King who became the first Vicar of Glen Innes to be made a Canon of St. Peter’s Cathedral Armidale, holding office from 1889 until 1898. After the Rev. A W. King, the Rev. F. T. Reynolds served the Parish until 1903. During his time as Vicar of Glen Innes the Rt. Rev. Arthur Vincent Green, Bishop of Armidale, founded St. John’s College, Armidale for the training of the clergy while the Bishop’s sister founded the New England Girl’s School, Armidale. The Diocese of Grafton and Armidale then embraced the north coast from Tweed Heads to Port Macquarie and as far to the west as Walgett and Mungindi to Tenterfield.
Glen Innes in 1903 welcomed yet another Johnson the Rev. A. W. Johnson. He served the Parish until 1910. Later he became the Archdeacon of Armidale and also the Vicar General of the Diocese. During his years of ministry he saw Glen Innes grow to a town of 3,500 people. He organised more constant services throughout the Parish because the population was now large enough to attend regular services. Dundee, Linwood, Matheson, Glencoe, Graham’s Valley, Yarrow Creek and Red Range were part of the Parish.
He was followed in 1910 by Canon W. H. Kemmis. During his ministry a building fund was established and the Church was greatly enlarged by adding the present east portion. Until 1915 the church building had remained in its original state. The new work blended beautifully with the old.
The design for the extension of Holy Trinity was prepared by F. J. Madigan(Architect) and the tender price was £3 500. It was to be built in the shape of the Cross. On completion, the extension the Church was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Cooper, Bishop of Grafton and Armidale.
The year 1914 was the first year of World War 1. It was also the year when Armidale became a Diocese in its own right being separated from Grafton. The four years 1914 –1918 were devastating for all of Australia with so much loss of young lives. The Roll of Honour situated on the northern wall of the Church identifies over 200 names.
A dramatic tale has emerged of a Church of England minister who had Glen Innes connections. The Rev. Henry Jobson, the founder minister of Deepwater /Emmaville, in his later ministry took up the Parish of Warialda. His children and grand children all attended Holy Trinity as do his descendants in 2008. Neil Shannon’s great grandfather was the Rev. Henry Jobson.
He was a highly respected clergyman. Whilst in charge of the Warialda Parish severe flooding occurred in 1917. At night the Rev. H. Jobson’s parishioners living along the creek found themselves in great danger and had to evacuate their homes. He was the first to offer assistance hurrying to help the needy to cross the flooded creek. Unfortunately he sacrificed his life performing this heroic deed
CHAPTER 7 – THE GIRLS’ GRAMMAR SCHOOL
The Vicarage became the Girls’ Grammar School for a period in later years. To quote from the Beardies Heritage by E.C.Sommerlad: ‘The need for a good school for girls in Glen Innes caused a number of residents to take steps to establish one, the movement starting in 1918. The lead was taken by members of the Church of England and eventually a school under the management of a committee of that body was opened in 1919. Miss Fittock B.A. was appointed Headmistress. By the kindness of the Vicar, Canon Kemmis, the Vicarage is in use as a school residence….until the … school can secure a home of its own. It closed however some three years later.’
In the Examiner 23rd December 1920 J.F.Madigan (Architect) called tenders for the erection of a new verandah and other additions to the Vicarage. “While the school occupied the Vicarage, the Clubhouse of the newly opened New England Club at “Braemore” West Avenue in 1928 became the home of the Rev. H.K.Gordon. The reason this minister, the then incumbent at Holy Trinity Church of England was not living in the Vicarage was that it was then occupied by a Girls’ School.
The Church of England Girls’ School in 1922 had an enrolment of 56 pupils, 12 of whom were boarders. The Church of England had relinquished the running of the school in 1926 and though it was now under the control of Miss Walden and called ‘Leighton Girls’ School’ it remained at the Vicarage.”
The Rev. Canon Kemmis’ ministry continued until 1923, when the Rev. H. K. Gordon became Vicar until 1928. The Rev. Gordon was a notable preacher who had served with distinction during World War 1. His wife formed the Ladies’ Guild with an original membership of 30 women and was its first president. The Rev. Canon A.W.Coates was the Vicar of Holy Trinity from 1928-1933. Then followed Canon Hunter Barratt arriving from Manilla in 1933. These years were most difficult years being known as the Depression Years throughout the world. The Rev. Canon Barratt built up the life of the Church greatly and by his work and teaching significantly increased the number of communicants.
The existing altar built of fine carved oak was donated in 1944 by members of the Young Family, in memory of their father, Percy Sing Young. In the same year the reredos (a screen or wall decoration at the back of an altar) was erected in memory of John Rule.
CHAPTER 8 – WAR MEMORIALS
A Memorial Cross in memory of the late Peter Turnbull who was a distinguished airman, was given to the Church. Funds were scarce due to the aftermath of the war years. However, in 1946 funds from the army and public subscription raised enough money to install the major stained glass eastern window.
The stained glass window was constructed for the sum of £600. Its dimensions are 14 feet(420 centimetres) by 10 feet(300 centimetres). Its designer was John Radecki, an 81 year old Polish born craftsman. When the window was created he was the oldest practising craftsman in that trade.
The window is a memorial to the fallen of World War 11 and as a thanks offering for those who returned. The window shows the Crucifixion of Christ together with a nurse and servicemen of the Australian Defence Forces. The installation took six months to complete. From The Australian Women’s Weekly 7th September 1946. “In 1885 John Radecki as a young artist, was taken on by the firm John Ashwin & Co in Sydney, New South Wales. He had worked in Europe for a firm of stained glass manufacturers before migrating to Australia where he found work as a coalminer with his father. He spoke Polish, English, German and a fairly fluent brand of Australian.”
Stained glass windows, although scientifically proofed in the making against the weather, are anticipated to deteriorate and after 60 years may require attention. This was an accurate assessment and the restoration of the window was needed after 50 years. In the late 1990’s a wonderful achievement by the parishioners raised $15 000 to restore the window. Fortunately a local glazier, Greville Wilton possessed the necessary skills to accomplish the task.
THE WAR MEMORIAL WINDOW
An awesome, patterned picture of lead with coloured glass between Of Christ at Calvary crucified… Portrays an eerie scene. Caressed by the morning sun… Humble compassion is shared…By servicemen with heavy hearts…For the Christ who cared. A backdrop of a dry stone wall…Laced by rosemary and palm, Stark is the ‘Cross of the Crucifixion’…Carried in the stillness and calm. This Sacrificial picture of so long ago…Is portrayed time and time again…And Mankind never seems to learn…About Tolerance, Compassion and Pain. John Mathew
CHAPTER 9 – EVENTS OF 1946 AND ONWARDS
The first post-war Church of England Ball was held at the Glen Innes Town Hall on the 26th April 1946 and has been held annually ever since. The Sesquicentenary Ball in 2008 marks the sixty-second occasion. It remains a highlight in the social life of the community and features the presentation of young ladies and their partners to invited dignitaries. The event is one of beauty and celebration, professionally presented. Months of preparation precede the night and involves a dedicated band of people. The Ball is held nowadays at the Glen Innes & District Services Club owing to changes of rules and regulations. This occurred in the 1990’s.
With the change of venue came changed protocol. Presented couples were no longer invited up onto the stage to sit at the official table. Instead a table was laid for the debutants and their partners. One memory associated with the purchase of tickets was the queueing up in Grey Street at an early hour on a cold, frosty June morning in order to claim ‘the best seats in the house’. After 37 years of training the participants many hundreds in number Mrs Leta Kempton retired in 2002.
To add to the eventful year of May 1946, the Rev. Hunter Barratt was made a Canon of the Armidale Cathedral. Also in 1946 the Rev H.S. Hannaford as assistant curate was welcomed to the Parish, with his wife and family and they stayed until the Rev. J. L.G. Sullivan and his wife came to Glen Innes in 1948.
In April 1948, tenders were called for the erection of a dwelling in the Church grounds on the corner of Meade Street and Mann’s Lane. B. L. Freak’s tender for £1 687/10 shillings was accepted to build the house that was used as the curatage.
The health of the Rev. Sullivan was not good and in December 1948 he was transferred to Armidale and the Rev. John Dent was appointed deacon to assist in the Parish. When the Rev. Dent left Glen Innes, the Rev. Milton McGregor was appointed Deacon on November 20th, 1950.
The Rev. Canon Barratt’s long ministry terminated in 1951. He and his wife had served the Parish for some 18 years. Their cremated ashes were interred on the southern side of the Church at their passing and simple marble tablets were placed in their memory.
CHAPTER 10 – THE VENERABLE ARCHDEACON CLIFFORD ROTHERO
The Rev. Clifford Rothero was appointed to the Parish in 1951 and was made a Canon of St. Peter’s Cathedral, Armidale the day following his induction. He was at that time one of the youngest Canons in the whole Church of England. The Venerable Archdeacon Rothero was a driving force as Vicar of the Parish for a period of 18 years.
It was during his ministry that the vestry room at the back of the Church was dismantled and the old floor removed. The youth group of the Parish re-floored the nave with tallow wood and this was a massive undertaking. The Sanctuary was then extended and enlarged by removal of the choir stalls. The ‘white wall’ was previously behind the lectern and in front of the Prayer Desk. It was about two feet (60cms) high with an opening a little off centre for access to the Sanctuary.
According to one of the long serving members of the congregation, “A purpose of the wall was to hide the legs of the ladies of the Choir who used to sit in three pews running east to west on the northern side. With decreasing choir members the removal of the wall received little opposition. He was considered to be rather outspoken and hence not too hugely popular with everyone, but a greater psychologist would be hard to find. He considered that a strong male attendance was essential in the congregation. He had the wonderful gift of relating the current affairs to the Scriptures.
Some of his observances cropped up regularly in his sermons, making the topic of the day easier to remember. Here are a few of these: Go to Church first and the rest of the day is yours. It’s not a matter of how much you’ve got, but what you do with it. It’s not so much a matter of what happens to you but how you let it affect you.
The Lord never expected us to be a lot of pious frumps. It is not that money is the root of all evil, but the love of money. “Whatever Will Be Will Be” –a Doris Day song- is the most blasphemous song ever written. Whatever will be will NOT be – life is what you make it”.
In 1956 the Venerable Archdeacon became the first Vicar of Glen Innes to fill the post of Archdeacon of Armidale, succeeding the Venerable Archdeacon E.H. Stammer in that position. Later in 1964 he was appointed Vicar General. As a member of the Liturgical Commission he was charged with assisting in the preparation of the Australian Prayer Book. Ill health was experienced during his retirement yet he remained a great worker for Church unity.
The Examiner reported on the 4th December 1979 that an appeal for a stained glass window be launched in memory of Archdeacon Rothero. The Examiner stated that: “Christian love shone out of him and the warmth of his welcome, his whimsical humour, together with his dislike of cant and stuffiness were his lovable characteristics.” In 1977 the Venerable Archdeacon Rothero passed away and his ashes were interred in the southern garden adjoining the Church.
CHAPTER 11 – CHURCH ORGANS
Researching the history of organs used in Holy Trinity has revealed that in 1880 the Bishop of Grafton and Armidale ordered the L. Davidson & Gray model, at the cost of £175. After 30 years it was removed. Its whereabouts are not known. The 1894 photograph shows that a fine reed organ was then in use. This particular organ is now situated in the Masonic Hall building in Glen Innes. Whatever happened to the 1880 organ remains a puzzle and why a grand Bell’s reed organ needed to be purchased adds further to the mystery.
Another question raised is how the reed organ found its new home at the Masonic Hall. On the 23rd July 1922 the Rt. Rev. Wentworth Shields, Bishop of Armidale, dedicated a massive pipe organ built by W.G.Rendall as a memorial to the men and women who had fought in World War 1. The organ cost £850 and stood in the southern transept. The pipe-organ was a square structure, surrounded by railed curtains situated outside the belfry door just under the present position of the hymn board. The only access to the belfry was through a small timber door found behind the Prayer Desk. The organ served the congregations over many years.
Research indicates that: “It was sold c. 1954 to the Re-organised Church of Latter Day Saints, Hamilton, Newcastle.” When asked about the old organ’s removal the Venerable Archdeacon Rothero often stated that the organ “was sold to the Mormons for a tenner”. Those that remember the sounds that came from it towards the end of its life didn’t dispute the price.
On 13th May 1943 the Wardens were asked to make inquiries regarding the purchasing of a replacement organ. It is assumed that there were problems with the War Memorial Organ. Money would have been extremely short and there may have been a lack of skilled technicians to service organs explaining the delay in obtaining a new one.
The need for a suitable organ led eventually to an appeal being launched many years later. It was on the 18th September 1955 at the 9:30pm Service that the Rev. Canon Rothero launched the Organ Appeal. Parish Council authorised him to make investigations regarding the purchase of a new organ and the removal of the old one.
On 24th August 1957 the present organ built by S. T. Noad & Son of Concord, Sydney was dedicated. It was perhaps the finest organ north of Newcastle costing £3 500. The 680 pipes in it were shipped out from England under licence. In order to house the organ the gallery at the back of the Church was constructed by local contractors B. L. Freak & Son at the cost of £1 270.
The playing of these majestic pipe organs is indeed a great art. The names of the following artists who have or still provide the generations of Holy Trinity congregations with wonderful music are: Mrs Simpson, Mrs Henry Yates, Miss Coates, Dr R. B. Lynch, Mr Ellis Jones, Mrs Faint, Mrs Winifred Marsh, Mrs Isabel (Belle) Carson, Mrs Daphne Taylor, Mrs Jill Gunning, Mrs Mary Lightfoot, Mrs Roma McDonnell, Mrs Gail Hartmann, Mrs Kathryn Duddy, Mrs Samantha Brennan and Mrs Elva Donaghue, who still provides us with beautiful music and has done so for many years. This list was provided by courtesy of Mr Richard Ward (Inverell) an authority of Pipe Organs.
CHAPTER 12 – EVENTS 1950 AND ONWARDS.
On 11th February 1952 the Rev. Milton McGregor was raised to the priesthood. In 1953 the first Men’s Dinner was organised. These were a feature of the Church year and proved most successful. After a lapse of some years they are now resuming. From an early minute book we learn that a Ladies’ Guild played a staunch part in the life of the Church. Their activities provided for many of the necessities and paid for some initiatives of the Church. In 1956 the Fete, organised by the Ladies’ Guild, raised £ 294 ($588) while in 1957 £268 ($536) was raised.
By 1976 the Guild catered for many functions, out of town weddings, lamington drives and church functions such as the Vicarage Restoration dinner which raised $6 220. The Glen Innes Examiner gave the Guild ladies work folding and putting documents into envelopes and on one occasion they made $600 from this work. On Fete days sponge cakes were made from early morning on that day in a continuous baking process, with the eggs largely donated by parishioners. One of the biggest functions the Guild catered for was the Mayoral Dinner in the Town Hall in 1981 where there were 200 guests who dined on sucking pigs, whole fish and ham amongst the delicacies. The Guild Farewell Luncheon was held on 31st May 1988. Over those years there were many good and tireless workers under the guidance of Mrs Myra Hutton and she recalls that they were a happy bunch of hard workers who raised an enormous amount of money towards the running of the Church. Mrs Margaret Lee performed the duties of Secretary for 35 Years.
In 1988 the Guild ceased catering for weddings and the Anglican Catering Service was formed. Under the leadership of Mr Laurie Swaffer then Mrs Shirley Page, Mrs Janet Pendergast and Mrs Jan Sharman and a host of helpers, catering has continued.
A re-formed Guild continued to run well into the 2000’s conducting street stalls and having other functions including cooking a supply of cakes for fetes. The last president was Mrs Carol Shannon with Mrs Valda Cooper the long serving treasurer. On closing in 2007 funds left in the account were spent on providing long pew cushions in the Church for the comfort of the congregation.
CHAPTER 13 – A NEW CENTURY BEGINS
1958 marked the Centenary Year of Holy Trinity. Celebrations were held during November of that year with special services, a festival and a Centenary Dinner at the Glen Innes Town Hall. A rose garden with 160 roses, donated by parishioners was planted as a Garden of Remembrance where the church tennis courts had been on the southern part of church grounds. The Garden still remains a feature in 2008. In 1961 the Rev. Charles Marrett was curate at Glen Innes followed by the Rev. John Lane and his wife and family.
In 1968 Mr J. Irwin erected a Memorial Gate at the south western corner of the church grounds, in memory of his wife. Also in the same year a framed picture, in memory of Frank and Olga Simes’ daughter, Anne, was hung in the Church.
CHAPTER 14 – THE REV.HARRY TAYLOR
In 1969 Glen Innes welcomed the Rev. Harry Taylor, wife Daphne and family with Father Peter Lockyer as his assistant.
In that year a move to sub-divide the land owned by Holy Trinity from the Vicarage garden north was finally approved when the Diocese gave a special ruling. Permission of the sale was granted on the condition that funds realised from the sale of the three blocks, two in Mann’s Lane and one in Macquarie Street, were to be invested and not used for church funds. The interest could be used as the Parish Council saw fit. A great deal of preparation was required for the land to become saleable, as it was heavily overgrown with elm trees and undergrowth. In early 1971 the blocks were auctioned. Mr Frank Simes purchased two blocks for $800 each. The land in Macquarie Street was purchased by Mr Ivan Dowsley.
At the cost of $1 259.50, a damaged wall of the Bell Tower was repaired in 1970. The local contractors were Sully and Ford. It had not been considered safe to ring the bell for some 10 years but it rang for the Christmas service in 1970 and has been operative ever since. Some 30 years later D. McCartney & Co did further maintenance.
New pews were installed in the Church in 1971 and were made available for memorial subscriptions at the cost of $100 each. The existing, cedar pews were auctioned to help with the cost of the new pews. A list of the donors appears at the end of the book. The Rev. Harry Taylor’s nickname was “Harry the Builder” and in 1972 the church was re-roofed and new carpet laid in the Church. The old iron roof was replaced with a colorbond one by contractor Hardy Marr for $6 000. While removing the old iron, the shingles on the first part of the church placed by a Mr Winstanley were also removed.
The Rev. Harry Taylor was the first Police Chaplain to be appointed in Glen Innes. In later years the Rev. Grant Bell and the Rev. Andrew Newman followed suit. The Rev. Harry Taylor was highly respected, being awarded a citation from the Police Commissioner for work in helping juveniles and for the support that he gave the police.
Over the western door entrance of the Church a mosaic tiled artwork designed by Mrs Taylor was dedicated to the Kiehne Family. The mosaic lasted for many years but unfortunately the harsh New England weather caused its deterioration and an iron cross was substituted for it in 1985. The Society of St. Anne began during Mrs Daphne Taylor’s time. It was a social club for young married women and there were ten to fifteen members in the group under the guidance of Mrs Beverley Watson as its president. It wound up in the late 1970’s.
In December 1972 Father Michael (Maikalia Radua) from Polynesia was appointed as assistant to the Rev. Harry Taylor. After he left Sister Josie Leslie from the Church Army spent several months assisting the Rev. Harry Taylor during 1974.
In January 1973, Mr O’Dell had a circular garden built in the centre of the church grounds as a memorial to his wife. Carpet was laid for the Sanctuary, Chancel and steps in August 1973. New collection plates were donated in the following year by Mr. W .B. Hughes, also a communion vessel dedicated to the memory Mr H. R. St. Clair Hughes by his family
The Rev. H. Taylor was determined to upgrade the old Hall. On stripping down the walls it was found that age had caught up with the building and that a new construction was needed. From the old building only the floorboards were salvaged. Steel framework replaced the old timber framework. The shape of the Hall was altered to fit the contours of the block. The kitchen in the old building was quite large and extended well out onto Mann’s Lane. The changes can be seen today by the different level between the kitchen and the hall floor, necessitating a step.
The old Parish Hall was eventually demolished late in 1976. It had been transported to Mann’s Lane in the early days from its site in Wentworth Street. Once it had been a multi functioning hall used for worship by different congregations and lodges. It was then called the Union Church. The Church of England acquired the building and moved it. When relocated the building stood on the present site of the current Parish Hall. In the old building the front entrance faced Meade Street and the hall positioned north to south.
The front façade was constructed of brick. Buttresses supported the front of the building and there was a prominent entrance. The main part was constructed of timber with an iron roof. Indeed it was an impressive building.
A plaque bearing an inscription: “An appreciation to Mr William Bujah, a generous Roman Catholic gentleman” was removed when the hall was demolished. However, this plaque has been preserved and can now be found in the church crypt. It is believed that this gentleman financed the transfer of the building and its re-siting at Mann’s Lane. Generations have benefited from his kind action.
As finance was required for the construction of a new building a fund raising activity were initiated. Mrs Daphne Taylor produced the musical ‘Aladdin’, in the old Hall. Proceeds from this production started the ball rolling. It proved very popular and ran for three nights.
Later in 1974 the Rev. Harry Taylor and his wife, Daphne and family, left to take up an appointment at Wynnum/Manly, in the Brisbane Diocese. At that time there were 12,333 communicants recorded for the year at Holy Trinity.
CHAPTER 15 – THE REV.DAVID BOWDEN
The Rev. Canon Edgerton relieved as minister in Glen Innes for three months until the Rev. David Bowden took up the appointment on 14th December 1974.
1976 saw the closure of Glencoe Church.
In 1977 Mr John Ogilve donated a flag pole to the Church and it is still in use in the centre of the gardens.
In that year Mr Sydney Williams, a Parish Councillor, oversaw the building of the new hall and ordered the necessary materials. The pledging of interest free loans ensured the speedy completion of the building that became a wonderful addition to Holy Trinity.
Mr Bert Hood, also on Parish Council, was the manager of the Bank of New South Wales and arranged the loan of $25 000 at 10% payable over 15 years to cover the cost. Thirteen benefactors made interest free loans totalling $10 400. By the 11th August 1980 the loan had been repaid and this unbelievable target had been achieved by further donations. The Church Ladies’ Guild raised nearly $21 000 under the leadership of Mrs Myra Hutton. The Official Opening of the new Parish Hall occurred on the15th April 1978 by the Rev. Harry Taylor in recognition of his work.
It was in September 1978 that the new prayer book was first used in Church services. The older members of the congregation took time to adjust. Regular, weekly bulletins and the birthday blessing were introduced by the Rev. David. Bowden. His wife, Linda, who had a magnificent singing voice, formed a Church Choir.
Sunday School visiting began in the 70’s with a birthday party for an elderly gentleman who had no family to help him celebrate the day. The concept grew with monthly visits to those no longer able to attend Church. The retirement homes of Roseneath and Glenwood were also visited. Birthday cards (made by the children) were sent, homemade cakes and biscuits, posies of flowers, Easter and Christmas gifts were received and treasured. Over the years there have been many wonderful helpers, supportive parents and caring children. Friendships have been formed with mutual benefits.
Holy Trinity has lightened up many days for senior members. In December 1978 the Rev. Clive Gerrard was appointed assistant and ordained to the priesthood on 30th November 1979. Two major happenings occurred in 1979 – the Church land at Graham’s Valley and at Glencoe were sold.
Yet another legacy left to the Parish is the Pancake Dinner. This popular event occurs on Shrove Tuesday each year to mark the beginning of Lent. Years earlier, while visiting the United States the Bowden Family experienced this occasion and Mrs Linda Bowden initiated the Pancake Dinner to Holy Trinity. Pancakes proved very popular and in 2008 the 25th Pancake Dinner was held with a record attendance and over 900 pancakes cooked.
In the latter part of 1979 the Rev. David Bowden was approached about developing a Chapter of the Order of Saint Luke in Glen Innes and was its formation Chaplain.
The Order of St. Luke is a movement founded in the U.S.A. in 1947 and granted autonomy in Australia in 1961.
The aim of the Order is to promote the understanding and practice of the healing ministry according to the New Testament teachings, and to help introduce this ministry to the normal stream of Church life. It is open to all Christians of all denominations, offering a disciplined fellowship that focuses on healing as an essential part of the Gospel integral to the Church’s mission.
The Glen Innes Chapter continued for five or six years. Wonderful fellowship, physical and spiritual healing were experienced by the group. The Bequest Committee was formed in 1980 to care for funds left to Holy Trinity and to make recommendations to Parish Council on ways to make best use of these funds.
The Rev. David Bowden opened the public appeal for a memorial window for Archdeacon Rothero. The Parochial Council had adopted the recommendation that a stained glass window be placed in the nave of the Church to perpetuate his memory. The dedication took place on the 3rd May 1980. The memorial window was designed and installed by the Brisbane Studio Leadlight Company.
In December 1981 the Gerrards were farewelled and shortly afterwards on 7th April 1982 the Bowden Family were also farewelled with a Service at the Church followed by a gathering at the Town Hall. The ‘Church Mice’ comprised a group of women formed from the 9am Wednesday Church Service during Rev. David Bowden’s time. The name came about as Smeaton’s “mice” cakes were purchased for birthdays of communicants.
They helped in so many ways keeping the Church linen laundered, the porches swept and generally helping wherever necessary in their unobtrusive way. They set up a missionary fund that continued for many years. They obtained white sheets, which were torn into bandages and sent overseas for leprosy sufferers. They also made rugs for needy overseas countries and mended, covered and stamped the worn hymn and prayer books. At one stage their outreach to seniors extended to lunches in the Parish Hall with the meal provided by the members. Over the years these humble ladies have contributed so much to the smooth running of the Church.
The grounds have always been a huge undertaking to maintain. Its trees and gardens bring very positive comments from locals and visitors alike. A dedicated band of volunteers have always performed this task with great love and care under the guidance of competent overseers. Mr Sam Cave, the head gardener, has given countless years in preparing, planting and pruning the flower gardens. His roses are a delight to behold.
CHAPTER 16 – THE REV. LINDSAY NEWBY
The Venerable Archdeacon Seymour and the Bishop of Armidale looked after Parish affairs until the Rev. Lindsay Newby and his wife Wendy and family arrived to take over the Parish with his induction held on 2nd July 1982.
During 1982, in memory of Mrs M Turnbull kneeling cushions were donated to the Church. Bookshelves in memory of Mr Cedric White were received from his family in 1983 and these were placed at the back of the Church. In April 1984 Andrew Kearney who had been a server in Holy Trinity was remembered by his family with the dedication of crosses with ribbons to be used by servers. A bookcase at the entrance of the Church was also given in his memory.
Under the Rev. Lindsay Newby’s guidance Parish members were asked to visit Anglican families to record family details so that the needy in the community could be referred back to the Vicar. He introduced visual aids to the 9:30am Service and suggested identity badges.
Early in 1984 a new Curate, David Weidemann with his wife Trudy came to the Parish.
In April 1985 two seats, donated by Mrs M Donnelly and Mrs T. Priest, were placed outside the main entrance of Holy Trinity. These have proved convenient for many of our senior members.
While visiting London years previously, the Rev. Lindsay and Mrs Wendy Newby were impressed and inspired by floral displays depicting biblical scenes in the churches. This led to the initial presentation of the “Gospel in Flowers” at Holy Trinity in 1985. The display created a variety of floral arrangements portraying the life and teachings of Christ. Supported by an enthusiastic band of Anglican Church Women’s Guild Ladies, some twenty in number, and other members of the Parish including some men, the display was admired and appreciated by a constant flow of people from Glen Innes and beyond. President Myra Hutton explained that the presentation was in the form of a walk through the Church commencing with the birth of Christ, proceeding from arrangement to arrangement to the Resurrection and Ascension.
The Gospel in Flowers has continued through the years and is a feature of the Annual Fete held on the last weekend in October. Such creativity never fails to inspire.
In 1985 the flower stands used in the Church were dedicated to the memory of Kathleen Pearce. The Rev. Lindsay Newby held the first Mission in the Parish in 1985 with Rt. Rev. Bishop Ralph Wicks of Brisbane attending.
Repairs to the Vicarage were badly needed and the proposition of selling the Vicarage rather than paying for the cost of repair was raised. If this had come to pass, a new Vicarage was to be built on the present site of the Curatage. Discussion ensued during the year but the plan to sell was finally dismissed and a Vicarage Restoration fund set up in 1987.
In January of that year the Rev. David Weidemann and family left Glen Innes.
A St. James Bible for the lectern was donated as a memorial for the late Dick Ford who had served Parish Council with distinction.
A Harvest Festival was celebrated for the first time for many years. The produce displayed was distributed amongst the needy of the Parish. The Trinity Singers under the baton of Lyn Meehan added a lovely dimension to services.
A short course in Christian living, ‘Cursillo’, was offered and more than forty members have had the pleasure of a special spiritual and stimulating experience. The course remains very active in the Diocese and Australia in 2008.
At the end of 1987, the Rev. Canon Terence Wenham from Welwyn, England wrote asking for an exchange of parishes between Welwyn and Glen Innes for a period of six weeks from September to early November 1988. Canon Wenham had family connections with the Bloxsomes, a local pioneering family, so the exchange was most appropriately arranged. The Rev. Lindsay Newby and the Rev. Cannon Wenham exchanged details of their Parishes when they met en route in Singapore.
One addition to the Church grounds at this time was the planting of a golden ash donated by Mr Frank Simes, providing a colourful picture. A free distribution of ‘Good News’ Bibles by Church members occurred as part of Australia’s bicentennial celebrations.
In 1988 Mrs V. Seward made a bequest of a Sanctuary lamp with an ongoing supply of oil.
On February 12 1989 the Rev. Lindsay Newby and his family bade farewell to take up an appointment at Moree.
CHAPTER 17 – THE REV.GRANT BELL
The Parish was without an incumbent for five months until the Rev. Grant Bell, his wife Lesley and family came to Holy Trinity. Heavy snow fell on their arrival on 27th July 1989.
In December of that year a Parish consultation took place. This extended meeting was held to plan co-operatively the future direction of the Parish, identifying its aims and objectives.
In December 1989 the Rev. Grant Bell was given the pleasure of congratulating a loyal member of Holy Trinity who had taught Sunday School for forty- two years. For her faithful and outstanding service Mary Lamplough was heartily thanked, presented with gifts and enjoyed a special tea.
To assist the Rev Grant Bell the Rev. Peter Harvey was appointed in December 1990. He and his wife Sue and family stayed for eighteen months until Peter enlisted in the R.A.A.F.
Trinity Club to cater for the youth of the Parish was started by the Rev. Grant Bell in 1990. At this time a television and video machine were purchased for their use. In keeping up with technology the Parish Council authorised the purchase of a photocopier for $1 400.
By March 1989 funds of $40 000 were in hand for the commencement of the Vicarage Restoration, the full estimated cost being $53 902 at that time.
By the Annual General Meeting in August 1990 the Restoration Fund had reached an amazing total of $59 179. R.Munday was awarded the contract to upgrade the Vicarage and the work proceeded.
A Children’s Room was built at the back of the Church and commonly known as the ‘Crying Room’. It was planned as a convenient room for young families. The southern side under the gallery was glassed, carpeted and furnished. An installed speaker allowed the service to be heard. The parishioners raised the necessary funds for its construction.
In those days the Church was not locked until dark. Late one evening in April a visitor arrived at Holy Trinity, not with the best of intentions. Deciding that he could benefit from the gathering all the Church’s silverware, he filled his sack full of booty.
Making his way from the Church along the quiet back lane he unluckily came face to face with a neighbour who recognised him. When asked what he was carrying he took off rather hastily.
The neighbour was suspicious of his strange behaviour and contacted the Police. Investigations revealed that a robbery had taken place and the Rev. Grant Bell was duly informed.
Passing motorists early the next morning were surprised to see a respected clergyman wearing gumboots fishing amongst reeds in the local creek. As a result of his endeavours all the missing items were recovered and the intruder earned a change of address for a number of years.
Who says that God is not watching! On February 9th 1992 Rear Admiral Peter Sinclair AO Governor of New South Wales and his wife visited Holy Trinity. It was the weekend of the Inauguration of the Australian Standing Stones situated in Glen Innes.
Later in 1992 the Rev. Grant Bell was appointed Archdeacon of New England. The commissioning took place at St. Peter’s Cathedral, Armidale in a service conducted by the Rt. Rev Peter Chiswell Bishop of Armidale.
Heating of Holy Trinity has always been a challenge for Parish Councils. In 1993 carpet, donated by Mr Brian Abbott, was laid in the Church and the Church was painted internally. The heating system of electric heater banks placed underneath pews and two large overhead gas heaters assisted by the carpeting, ensured a warmer Church during the extreme winter weather.
A cattle scheme was introduced to raise funds to support a second clergyman. This scheme saw graziers run cattle on their properties with the proceeds of the sale of the stock going to aid Church funds.
With the doubling of inmates at the Glen Innes Correctional Centre, The Department of Corrective Services allocated our Parish a day a week with payment to service the Centre with a Lay Preacher.
During the Rev. Grant Bell’s tenure the Rev. Martin Trotman with his wife Joanna and family was appointed to Emmaville/Glen Innes.
In 1994 the Rev. Martin Trotman started the Prison Chaplaincy while he was part time at Glen Innes and he was also appointed the Church Missionary Society Representative for the Armidale Diocese.
During the year a Regional Day called the “Year of the Family” was launched at Glen Innes by the Rt. Rev. Peter Chiswell Bishop of Armidale. It was a day of rejoicing with lots of fun and frolic for the children and adults. The highlight was the fact that Bishop Chiswell travelled by helicopter to every parish in his Diocese. At that time in July the Parish experienced “Mission ’94” entitled “God’s Mission, Our Mission.” Twenty-one young people from St. Ives Sydney visited schools, attended services and held evening meetings under the guidance of the Rev. Rob Smith, the team leader.
1995 saw the inductions of the Rev. John Page and the Rev. Richard Clementson at Holy Trinity. The Rev. John Page has proved to be a mainstay of the Church through its good and its difficult times, earning the respect of the congregations, and at times carrying on the full activities of the Church without assistance.
In that same year the Venerable Archdeacon Grant Bell notified the Parish that he would be taking up ministry as Chaplain to The King’s School, Parramatta.
After the Venerable Archdeacon left, the Rev. Martin Trotman was appointed to Holy Trinity in a full time capacity. During his tenure the Rev. Mark Taylor arrived to assist.
The Annual Fete always held on the last Saturday in October remains a wonderful social occasion for Glen Innes. Since the Rev. L. Newby’s time the Gospel of Flowers has added yet a further dimension to the great variety of stalls and activities spread throughout the grounds. This outreach activity that involves the support of many people provides a welcome boost to the finances. Mrs Jan Sharman is the present co-ordinator.
CHAPTER 18 – THE REV.ANDREW NEWMAN
In 1997 the Rev. Andrew Newman, with his wife Margie and three boys arrived from Bundarra to take over the Parish, while the Rev. Martin Trotman took up a position as Chaplain for the Armidale University.
In that year a bookcase situated at the rear of the Church, was dedicated in memory of William Murray Boyd-Law by his family.
Our previous Vicar, the Rev. Lindsay Newby had been appointed as the Very Rev. Vicar General of Armidale. He was invited to Glen Innes to re-dedicate the Memorial Window following its restoration in 1999. The majority of the funds for this project was raised by generous donations and a War Veteran’s Memorial Grant of $1 500.
Pinkett Church was closed in 1998 due to falling attendances but a new home was found for it. The building was moved to the Glen Innes Correctional Centre on the Gwydir Highway. The Correctional Centre was in need of a Sacred Space- a building that could be used by members of various faiths and the old Pinkett Church was ideal for this purpose. Mr Jeff Paul, an Overseer at the Centre with the aid of inmates, transferred and completely refurbished the Church. Mr George Debus, the New South Wales State Minister for Corrective Services & Emergency Services, officially declared the Sacred Space open after an Aboriginal smoking ceremony had greeted the officials who included the Governor of the Centre, Mr John Heffernan, invited guests and inmates. The re-dedication by the Rt. Rev. Bishop of Armidale Peter Chiswell occurred on the 16th November 1998. The plaque found on the internal eastern wall states that the Sacred Space is:
“A facility dedicated to meditation and worship – an oasis of tranquillity in a hostile environment for both inmates and Staff.”
The Rev. Richard Clementson took over the Prison Chaplaincy for a number of years.
An upgrading of the Parish Hall and the maintenance of the Bell Tower required the attention of Parish Council. The kitchen in the Hall received a $5 200 uplift while the quote for the Bell Tower was $45 000. Fundraising was providing 28% of the Church’s income in 1999.
At Christmas time it was decided to floodlight the Church window for a month leading up to the Christmas season. The floodlit Star of Bethlehem positioned on top of the Bell Tower was Mrs Pam Parker’s initiative and was constructed by Mr Colin Lute.
In 2001 home groups were formed on the initiative of the Rev. Andrew Newman. These groups commenced with Alpha Courses thus offering members an opportunity to further extend their Christian understanding.
The Rev. Mark Taylor remained at the Church to assist the Rev. Andrew Newman. Following the Rev. Mark Taylor’s resignation the Rev. John Page was appointed as a part time Assistant Minister to help with the demands of the Parish.
When the Curatage, also known as the Cottage, became vacant it was used for various group activities. One room was allocated to the Anglican Counselling Service.
Another initiative introduced by the Rev. A. Newman was the appointment of Mrs Carol Shannon, Mrs Valerie Geach, Mrs Miriam Dadley and Mrs Una Biddle as Assistant Honorary Chaplains. These ladies continue to perform valuable work in the Retirement Nursing Homes of Roseneath and Glenwood.
In 2002 it was announced that Rev. Martin Trotman had become the Venerable Archdeacon of Armidale.
The cattle scheme was wound up in 2004 due to a number of factors.
In 2005 the Parish was saddened to hear of the death of the Rt. Rev. David Bowden, Bishop of Bendigo, Victoria. Mr Sam Cave was authorised to develop a garden to his memory on the southern side of the Church.
A new sound system was researched and purchased through funds acquired by the catering committees. An extra feature was the placing of a hearing loop. A bequest from Mrs Monica Schweppes allowed for the custom built system to be securely housed. Two Church members, David McCartney and Neil Shannon were able to install the system. To add comfort, pew seat cushions were donated by Mr and Mrs Frank Simes and some also were purchased from accumulated funds of Anglican Ladies Guild.
For many years Mr Reg Blunt has been a lay preacher and has served on Parish Council for many years in varied capacities, taking a lead role as a fete co-ordinator and as the Diocesan Synod representative. For twenty years he held the position of Secretary of the Diocesan Synod. The work of Mr Reg Blunt was acknowledged at an Annual General Meeting.
The ‘Saturday at Six’ service was started in the early part of the Rev. Andrew Newman’s time. Having grown substantially, the ‘Saturday at Six’ initiative was reviewed and it was decided to transfer it to the 9:30am Sunday service.
At this time the Vicarage was again in need of repairs. The question was asked whether to sell the Vicarage and build a modern brick building with the proceeds or raise the finance to upgrade the dwelling. Modern requirements had put Parish Councils under pressure to provide suitable, regulated accommodation. The Vicarage being an Edwardian house of historical, social, cultural and architectural importance is described by the Heritage Officer Mr Graham Wilson OAM as:
“It is one of Glen Innes’ finest buildings worthy of careful conservation.”
In December 2006 the Rev. Andrew Newman and family were appointed to Tamworth. With the house vacant for a period before the appointment of a new minister the Vicarage received a coat of paint and new carpet. The wonderful volunteer input by members of the congregations was in itself an experience. There was no more talk about selling the old building.
Mrs Una Biddle followed up the publication of her first book “Universe” which was a wonderful success with “To God Be The Glory” – a book of religious verse.
In 2007 the Rev. Chris Brennan, his wife Samantha and three children arrived in Glen Innes to care for us at Holy Trinity.
With our Church achieving its Sesquicentenary, one can only wonder what the world will be like in its Bicentenary Year of 2058.
Extract from the Day of Praise by William Watkins Reid 1923-
Help us, O Lord, to live
That faith which we proclaim,
That all our thoughts and words and deeds
May glorify your name.
SNAPSHOT OF THE SESQUICENTENARY YEAR AT HOLY TRINITY
The Minister is the Reverend Chris Brennan
The Assistant Minister is the Reverend John Page
The Parish Councillors are:
Allan Every – Vicar’s Warden,
Valerie Geach – Warden(Wednesday Service)
John Mathew – Warden 7:30am Service
Jan Sharman – Warden 9:30am Service
Ian Speed – Warden 9:30am Service
Denis Haselwood – Warden(Dundee)
Other Parish Councillors: David Balchin, Libby Every, Sandra Kiehne, Rosalie Mepham, Neil Shannon, Carol Shannon, Damian Riches, Scott Wright.
The Secretary is John Mathew.
The Treasurer is Ian Speed.
Services: There are three weekly services:Sunday 7:30am & 9:30am
At Dundee the service is held fortnightly.
The Retirement Homes of Glenwood and Roseneath are visited with services held.
Hospital and Home Visiting by Ministers and members of the congregation,
Weddings, Baptisms, Naming Ceremonies and Funerals are conducted.
Home Groups: Men, Women and Mixed are held at various homes..
The Weekly Bulletin is prepared
Anglican Counselling Service: Libby Every
Assistant Chaplains: Carol Shannon, Miriam Dadley, Valerie Geach, Una Biddle
Prison Fellowship: Dennis Russell
Lay Preachers: Ian Speed, Mark Geach, Scott Wright, Allan Every
The Sunday School Teachers led by Rosalie Mepham, Julie Wright,
Sunday School Kids Club: Leanne & Michael Newsome, Julie & Bruce Haigh, Julie Wright, Anouk Gillett, Mark Geach, David Balchin, Di Cave, Cheryl Funnell, Rosalie Mepham
Youth Group Organisers: Rev. Chris Brennan, Damian Riches, Rebecca Mepham, David Balchin, Diane Cave, Sue McCartney, Rosalie Mepham
Servers: John Kearney, Leta Kempton , Bill Hughes
Organists: Elva Donaghue, Mary Lightfoot, Gail Hartmann,
Kathryn Duddy, Samantha Brennan, Roma McDonnell
Missions: Sara Speed
Wedding & Baptism Guidance: Libby &Allan Every, Vicki & Mark Geach, Penny & Richard Clementson,
Setting Up: 7:30am & 9:30am Parish Councillors
Cleaning of the Church and Hall :Carol Shannon, Christine Shannon, Sherree Rogers
Linen & Brass: Valerie Geach, Nellmary Say, Margaret Lee, Betty Strong, Loretta Pietsch, Iris Willoughby-Reynolds,
Flowers are arranged by: Valerie Geach, Janet Pendergast, Jan Ryan, Carolyn McClelland, Sandra Kiehne, Zoë Boyd-Law, Frances Baker, Penny Clementson, Elaine Davies, Nellmary Say, Loretta Pietsch, Maureen Halloran, Eileen Landers, Janet Donnelly, Kathy Donnelly, Rhondda Dawson,
The Gardens and Grounds: Sam Cave, Clive Pevy, John Mathew, Tig Hughes, Barry Tomlinson, Travis Ferris, Jeff Lowien, Norman O’Hara
Maintenance: Neil Shannon, Geoff Strange, Clive Pevy, John Mathew, Jeff Lowien, David MacCartney, David Dadley, Richard Clementson, Errol Mepham
The Office Assistants: Valerie Geach, Jan Sharman, Ann Brewer
Morning Teas: 7:30am June Holroyd, Ann Brewer
9:30am Home Groups
Home Visiting Personnel: Maureen Halloran & Helpers
The Ball Committee: Jan Sharman, Cathy Faint, Helen Williams, Desne & John Mathew, Carol & Neil Shannon, Janet Donnelly, Carolyn & John McClelland, Rhondda & Brian Dawson, Adele & Ian Chapman-Burgess, Sandra & Phillip Kiehne, Kay Arthur, Wendy & Jeff Lowien, Jean & Clive Pevy, Lyn Meehan, Ian Speed, Sue & David McCartney, Margaret Ryan, Stacey Cooke, Valerie, Mark & William Geach
The Anglican Catering Team: Jan Sharman, Desne & John Mathew, Carolyn & John McClelland, Rhondda & Brian Dawson, Carol & Neil Shannon, Sherree Rogers, Shirley & John Page, Jan Ryan, PennyClementson, Jean & Clive Pevy, Wendy & Jeff Lowien, Sandra & Phillip Kiehne, Denis Haselwood, Valerie Geach, Rosalie Mepham, Sam Cave.
Donations– Smeatons, Bob & Janet Pendergast.
Meals On Wheels: Carol & Neil Shannon, Desne & John Mathew, Jean & Clive Pevy, Loretta Pietsch
Mothers’ Day Luncheon: Co-ordinator Jan Sharman, The Catering Committee with assistance of the Wednesday Ladies Group.
Senior Citizens’ Dinner: Co-ordinator Jan Sharman with the Catering Group including William Geach
Meet & Greet Dinner. Co-ordinator Jan Sharman & the catering team.
Pancake Dinner: Co-ordinator Jan Sharman, the catering workers with help from Danielle & Angela Mepham, Shaylee Ferris, Taylah McClelland, Lara Perkings, William Geach,Barry Tomlinson, Dudley Holder, Carol & Christine Shannon, Bronwyn Cooper, Cathy Cooper & Dulcie Scott
Women’s Dinner Co-ordinator Jan Sharman, the catering workers with organisers Samantha Brennan, Kathryn Duddy
Welcoming: 7:30am Betty Biddle, Elaine Semko, Meg Lawson, Lane Wickham, June Holroyd, Iris Willoughby-Reynolds, Norma Brummell, Zoë Boyd-Law, Jean & Clive Pevy, Val Benness, Lily Grange, Denise Pryor, Nita Morley.
9:30am Caitlin & Phillip Turner, Vicki & William Geach, Leanne & Michael Newsome, Julie & Bruce Haigh, Cathy & David Donnelly
Fete: Jan Sharman Co-ordinator
Photography-Sara Speed, Tony Coombs,
Set Up– John Mathew, Neil Shannon, Clive & Travis Pevy, Jeff Lowien, Phillip Kiehne, John Page, John McClelland, Marcus Brumby, John Landers, Dudley Holder.
Produce- Maureen Halloran, Leta Kempton, Lily Grange, Mary Lamplough, Karen & Malcolm Donnelly
Sweets- Jean Pevy
White Elephant-Rosemary Williams, Libby Every, Elaine Davis, June Russell, Kim Brumby
Books-Julie Slee, Desley Ferris
Fancy Goods- June Holyrod, Beryl Clibborn, Enid Strange, Joyce Flanaghan, Ann Brewer
Waffles –Lesley & Barry Clibborn & Family, Jan & Graham Miller
Tea/Coffee – Desne Mathew, Beryl Coombs, Kay Arthur
Children’s Activities – Rosalie Mepham, Kids Club Teachers & Youth Group
Secretaries/Treasurer/Counters – Desne & John Mathew, Vicki Geach, Sara & Ian Speed
Sponge Cakes – Iris Willoughby-Reynolds, Betty Strong, Sandra Kiehne
MC – Ian Speed
I.T. David McCartney, Lesley Clibborn
Green Fingers – Eileen, John & Matthew Landers, Robert & Angela Landers, June Hidden, Roma McDonnell, Val Beness, Gwen Kerr, Michelle Lynn, Graham Wilson, Janet Donnelly, John McPhee, Margaret Potter, Joan Newsome.
BBQ – Phillip Kiehne, Shirley & John Page, Frances Baker, Denis Haselwood, Wendy & Jeff Lowien, Tig & Bill Hughes, Rhondda & Brian Dawson, Carol & John McClelland,
Cake Stall – Carol & Christine Shannon, Bronwyn Cooper, Valda Cooper, Myra Hutton, Denise Pryor, Nita Morley, Lorretta Pietsch
Visiting: Children of the Sunday School and thoughtful citizens.
Gospel Concert: Kathryn Duddy, John Mathew, Rosalie Mepham, Sandra &Phillip Kiehne, Ian Roan, Patricia Holmes, Tony Coombs, Miriam Dadley,
Publicity/Photographs: Sara Speed,Tim Hughes, Tony Coombs
Picnic Organiser: Kathy & David Donnelly
Special Afternoon Teas: Maureen Halloran
Open Gardens: Eileen & John Landers, Rosalie & Errol Mepham, Carol & John McClelland, Loretta & Robert Pietsch
Annual Floral & Craft Display: Helen Williams, Rosemary Williams, Bronwen Campbell, Cathy Wheatley, Elizabeth Biddle, Frances Baker, Helen Wirth, Irene McIndoe, Jan Ryan, Joan Lawler, Penny Wilson, Sara Speed, Janet Pendergast, Rosemary Moore, Sally Robinson, Sandra Kiehne, Valerie Geach, Zoë Boyd-Law, Alison Digby, Jan Miller, Wilma Gallagher, Nellmary Say, Vicki Geach, Lorraine Galvin, Iris Willoughby-Reynolds, Betty Strong, Rhondda & Brian Dawson, Roseneath Aged Care Centre, Smeatons, Camilla Pevy, Sandy McClelland, Gae Petit, Una Biddle, Glen Innes Community Health Services, Christian Book World, Vera Fletcher, Cancer Council, Truckies’ Memorial Day Committee, Glen Innes Emergency Services & Police.
The Sesquicentenary Committee: Rev. Chris Brennan, Rev.John Page, Jan Sharman, John Mathew, Rosalie Mepham, Damian Riches, Carol Shannon
DONATIONS TO THE CHURCH
Item In Memory of Donor/s
Three Warden’s Wands Don Morton By Family
Silver Communion Vessel H.R. St. Clair Hughes By Family
Silver communion Vessel Basil Marsh By Family
Woven Frontal far side Altar Emily Hoare By Peter & Lynne Hoare
Crosses with ribbons
for Servers & Bookcase Andrew Kearney By Family
Altar Chair Albert Cattell By Edward, Heather & Edna
Cross above Church entrance: John & Margretta M.Kiehne By Family
Lectern Alice McPhee By Family
Vicar’s Board Harold McPhee By Family
Picture behind Font Daughter of Mr & Mrs F.Simes By Family
Vases George Dadley By Family
Kneeling Cushions Mrs M.Turnbull By Family
Collection Plates By W.Hughes
Flower Stands Kathleen Pearce By Family
St. James Bible Dick Ford By Mrs D. Ford
Bookshelf(Church rear) Cedric White By Family
Circular Garden Mrs O’Dell Mr O’Dell
Outside seats Mrs M Donnelly & Mrs T.Priest
Cedar ‘Signing Table’ Alfred Andrews By Family
Green Carpet By B..Abbott
Water Jug at Font Betty Lute & Evelyn Cooper By Lute & Cooper Families
Travelling Communion Set Lute Parents By Lute Family
Small Altar Cloth Gordon O’ Hara By May O’Hara
& Element Alcove Cloth
Bible Mrs Edith Davis By Family
Roll of Honour Veterans of First World War 1914-1918
Cushions By F & O Simes
Cushions By The Ladies’ Guild
Bookcase Murray Boyd-Law By Family
Please Note: Other items have been donated but not recorded
ON CHURCH PEWS
Lillian & Charles Woollett
NORTHERN SIDE OF AISLE – SOUTHERN SIDE OF AISLE
Ron Grafton Olive Doust
Holy Trinity Guild Mae & Gordon Chapman
Maurice Lee Amy & Bert Freak
Whitten & Sara Rowland & Sister Joan Percy Colin Shelton
Edward & Ida George
Robert & Anne Danes Madeline Elizabeth Purser
Elizabeth Woollett David Edward Lewis
Clifford James Parkinson Clara Agnes Winsome Judge
Edward O’Hara Charlotte Jane & William Webber
Pearl & Alfred Fisher Elizabeth M. & Percy P.Abbott
Gwen O’Dell Charles Alfred & Clara Hunt
Maud Marion Lamplough Mr & Mrs Gordon Chapman, Annette
William & Edith Melling Graeme & Narelle
Max Howard Marsh
Beryl Mary Smith
Mr & Mrs William George
Ron Grafton Plaque over small altar
GLEN INNES REMEMBERED –My View from the Rectory.
By Daphne Taylor,wife of
The Rev.Harry Taylor, Vicar of Glen Innes 1969 – 1974
(later, Archdeacon of Moreton, then Archdeacon of The West Brisbane Diocese)
“THEY WANT YOU. They’ll do anything to get you.” These words were spoken to us by the bishop when he offered Harry the parish of Glen Innes. Very enticing to know you are so wanted.
But there was a problem. I had been very ill when Harry was Vicar of Emmaville, some years previously and I was told never to go back to the tableland climate. After further medical consultation, I made the decision to risk it. So go we did.
We were welcomed with open arms. We suggested certain things to make the vicarage warmer for the sake of my health. However we were told “The barrel is empty – but we haven’t got splinters yet.” There was no money, but they were not in debt. There never was any money in any parish we ever went to, but at least Glen Innes had no accompanying debt.
I loved the gracious old house even though I did my housework with a pixie hood and scarf on through the winter. There were few power points. The old, old, fuel stove was no good to cook in – (Jess Rothero had used her own small electric stovette on the bench.) I requested a combustion stove to provide cooking and heating. It was finally decided (largely because of the cost of firewood.) to install an electric stove and gas heater in the kitchen.
The day after we moved in there was snow on the open back verandah. It was a great improvement when it was closed in so we didn’t have to go out into the cold to get from the kitchen to the hall. An electric heater was provided for the hall – more power points were put in.
At one stage we had a flood in the pantry off the hall. It was then discovered the water had come from a tank above the ceiling, which was used when the house was a Girls’ school many years before. The tank supplied water to the bathroom, adjacent to the pantry. It had rusted through and finally gave way. Everyone had forgotten its existence.
We had many wonderful gatherings of our Sunday School teachers in that big lounge room; lesson preparations, questions, deep discussions on our Faith, and all parts of life through which it sheds an influence. Real bonds were formed with those wonderful people.
It was during our time in Glen Innes that Harry became involved in a lot of court procedures – trying to lift up the accused. Sometimes this was planned, sometimes it occurred spontaneously (and really quite out of order)speaking from the public gallery in the accused’s defence, or clarifying confusing evidence- helping young people to get a foot on ‘life’, finding jobs for those young or old on parole – on occasion, the accused being put under his care/oversight.
Then there was the Prison Farm where he was a chaplain and visited regularly. The ministry there – just released prisoners sitting at our family table – our youngest daughter observing later, “That man was very nervous wasn’t he?” But if you had been told for seven years, what to do, when to do, and how to do it, the big decision of making your own movements, is scary. Complex characters!
Then there were the “fellows on the road”, men with no fixed abode, with their weird and wonderful stories why they needed food or money. Some were legitimate needs. Some were very skilled at playing in welfare agencies. They were there to some extent in all parishes we served in, but mostly Boggabri and Glen Innes – on the highways.
It was at Glen Innes that Harry received a citation from the New South Wales Police Department for (I quote) “ the most valuable assistance rendered by him over a period of six years to members of the Police Force in the Glen Innes area and his services to the community with the welfare and rehabilitation of juvenile offenders and juveniles in necessitous circumstances.”
Another memorable feature of Glen Innes was the frequent night calls to the hospital. It was nothing unusual for the telephone to go at all hours with a call. Harry would dive out of bed, pulling on his clothes over his pyjamas in the haste to get there, and be gone. There have been times he sat up with very ill or dying patients the rest of the night – all part of ministry. Our girls became used to it. It was a normal occurrence.
The pantomimes we had, with young and old involved, were times of enjoyment to remember. The music, singing, the costumes and the presentation of the characters, untrained in stage presentation, but willing to learn and have fun together, all hold very special places in our memories, and I hope, in those who were part of them.
The glorious pipe organ was a great joy for me to play. One memory I shall never forget was the wedding when a boy in his kilt regalia, piped the bride, his sister, into the Church; then two of his school companions all playing the bagpipes and me on the organ all full volume, played as the bride and groom, the wedding party and all the congregation, processed out. It was a fantastic experience.
It was a great day when the bell in the tower rang again. For quite some years it had not rung because of the movement of the rafters holding the bell. Investigations were held. If I remember correctly it was Dick Ford who came up with a solution of making a steel bell tower inside the bell tower, independent, not impacting on the building at all. And so the beautiful sound was heard again.
We were all fortunate in our curates and families in Glen Innes in those years. Peter and Pat Lockyer and their two little girls and Michali and Anna Rhandua and their children, Atetha and Johnny, and then our first and only female parish assistant, Josie. It was comforting to have Peter to minister to Harry in the Radium institute during his last months.
On a personal level, it was at Glen Innes that Ruth wanted to go to Art Class and wanted me to go with her for company. She gave up after a time, I kept going with Jill Allot as tutor. I despaired of ever getting the hang of it until I won my first prize at a little show in the park, and then at the Glen Innes Show, for a work to be titled “Light”. I interpreted that as ‘the Light of the World’ and won first prize. I have come a long way since then.
Our family and personal lives have been interwoven with the parishes where we were. Glen Innes was no exception. Faith and Ruth were both married in Holy Trinity – Felicity left for her Rotary exchange student year in South Korea, and Priscilla was captain of the Primary School.
To worship and minister in that beautiful Church with wonderful parishioners was a blessing beyond measure. Treasured memories. There are so many stories.
God leads us – strengthens us – empowers us – if we just say: “Here am I Lord – Send me.”
- Dr L.A.Gilbert. Address at Centenary Celebrations at Holy
Trinity Church, Glen Innes on the 18th June 1976.
- Op. Cit.
- Op. Cit.
- Op. Cit.
- Op. Cit.
- Op. Cit.
- Op. Cit.
- Government Gazette 1876
- E.Chappell Early Days at the New England Club
History House Bulletin 2001 – 2002.
10. R. Ward Inverell